Saturday, July 16, 2005

The List

Starting in May 2004 I decided I'd keep a log of every movie I've seen. The experiment started small in a notebook, but quickly jumped onto my computer and excel. Over a year later I've still kept track. I've seen good and I've seen bad. A copy of, what has become known as, The List is located at the link. But I feel I should explain some things about it first.
  • No movies I've seen prior to starting The List are on it. Perhaps one day I'll start a back log, but who knows.
  • There are several columns; the title of the movie, the grade I gave it, the year it came out, and the language it is in (to the best of my knowledge).
  • The grades can be translated to a 10 point scale easily;
A = 10, excellent, the most you can hope for
A-
B+
B = 7, good
B-
C+
C = 4, average, most movies
C-
D = 2, poor
F = 1, proof of the devil

  • The hardest thing for people to do is admit that a movie is good or bad regardless of if they liked it. I don't want to get into the argument of judging films objectively here, but seriously - if you rated every movie against every other movie and then applied ratings on a bell curve most movies would be average.
  • That being said, my grades are based on the movies from more of a technical than entertainment standpoint.
  • If none of this makes sense I'm sorry. I'll be happy to put a grade into a rating system you can understand if you ask. Email me at jmducat@gmail.com.
  • Remember that the list is ever growing. I'll try to keep monthly updates from now on.
  • Or you can just take a look at my Netflix history to get an idea of what I'm doing... soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home