Monday, December 05, 2005

The Obvious Truth

An article I read on Google News today had me a little miffed. The article, linked here, is about Fox and Disney butting heads over DVD release schedules and how to salvage sales of DVDs and theater attendance.

While they decide what a good corporate model is I began to think that the answer to this problem can be described in one word; obvious.

Apparently, to make people want to go out to movies is getting tougher. And to make people want to own a copy of a movie, which suggests wanting to view it multiple times as opposed to renting it, is getting harder, too.

Here's a radical thought; try increasing the quality of your product. I haven't been to a theater or watched a recent movie for a long time because there's a lot of crap out there right now. Nothing but star vehicles, over effect-ed action movies, and remakes. I'm the jaded, 23 year old male that these guys are trying to lure back, and I'm telling them point-blank to make better stuff.

Actually, let other people make better stuff. I call for a new cinema. Make film a platform for artistic expression again, not the result of a formulaic marketing board room meeting with fast food tie-ins and this holiday's hottest toy.

Hollywood is not dead, it's just being stiffled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home